Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Belize: Day 5 -- Mr. Ray the Spotted Eagle Ray

Finally some decent weather!  No rain today and the sun even made an appearance.  Today was only a two dive day so we had the entire afternoon free.

We started off the day at Dardanellos and the theme of the day was lion fish hunting.  On our first dive our dive master speared probably 8, while a couple people in the other group got some more.  The nurse sharks were surely quite happy about that.  One of the lion fish was apparently not quite dead yet when he took it because he banged it against some rocks before swallowing it.  Quite a frenzy going on.  We continued our dive through the canyons before coming to rest up on a flatter area.  We were getting ready to start heading to the surface when this huge spotted eagle ray came.  Mr. Ray (I named him after Nemo's teacher who is also a spotted eagle ray) circled us three times before leaving.  It was amazing.  He had a wingspan of probably 4-5 feet and was just gorgeous.  What an experience!



Our second dive took place at some other site I can recall.  I feel like the name was somewhat unusual, which is why it didn't stick with me.  It was much the same as our other dives, which isn't bad.  The canyons of coral are still amazing and fun to explore.  We just didn't have any big creatures come find us on this one.

This afternoon I headed out to look at some shops with one couple who I know pretty well from going to Curacao together last year.  I spotted a couple things I might get if I have money left over at the end of the week.  After that I took a handstand photo right outside our hotel.  I forgot to take one in Curacao last year which was a bummer, but I made sure to get one this time.  Dinner was at Elvi's with a small(ish) group.  It was good.  I'm really liking the coconut white rice, which is found at most restaurants around here.


Tomorrow is the last day of diving.  I hope we see a couple more awesome things before heading out!

No comments:

Post a Comment