Monday, October 23, 2017

Belize: Day 2 -- Nurse Sharks!

Well...so far Belize has been rather grey and windy.  Hopefully the weather will pick up the next few days.

This morning actually started out pretty nice.  We started out the morning with breakfast at our hotel.  I had this huge breakfast that was too much to handle.  I couldn't even finish it all.

After breakfast we headed out to load up for our first dive of the day.  We have enough divers we are split up between two boats.  I'm on the larger boat of the two, and there our group is split into two groups as well.  Our first dive was (I believe) Mermaid's Lair.  No mermaids were seen, but I nearly dropped down onto a nurse shark!  I was settling down and I look down at were my feet are to find that swimming right under me was a nurse shark.  And there were probably 5-6 others we saw on the dive as well.  On our first dive visibility was around 70 feet.  We traveled up and down the canyons of the reef, which is pretty neat.



By the time we got to the second dive, conditions were decreasing.  Swells were up to probably about 6 feet and visibility dropped to about 40 feet.  We made our way along some more canyons, saw fish and coral and more nurse sharks.  The movement in the water was starting to make my stomach a bit queasy.  And then we got up to the surface and I nearly lost my breakfast.  We had to wait for the other divers to get on the boat first so we waiting on the surface for probably 5-10 minutes for them to come get us, all the while going up and down, up and down the 6-8' swells.  Not good.  But we eventually made it on board and back to shore.

The rest of the day I most just hung out, relaxed, tried to go for a walk through town but got rained on.

Hopefully over the next few days the weather clears up.

No comments:

Post a Comment